A gorgeous soup that’s also good for you.
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil, organic canola or peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 Tsp. hot/mild curry paste, and cumin to taste
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 large Anaheim or Cubanelle pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 can (14 oz.) white or pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup Betsy’s Best Gourmet Peanut or Seed Butter melted in 1⁄2 cup of boiled water or broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. golden balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, for heat, to taste
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. raw organic agave nectar, or organic light brown sugar, if it needs it
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro or chopped peanuts
- Fresh lime slices
Heat the olive oil in large soup pot. Add the curry paste and stir for a minute to infuse the oil with spice. Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, cabbage, yellow pepper and Anaheim pepper. Stir and cook the veggies for 5 -7 minutes, until softened.
Add the beans, broth, peanut butter, coconut milk, balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes and cilantro.
Bring the soup to a high simmer, cover, and lower the heat; keep the soup on simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice and taste test for seasoning adjustments. Add a little brown sugar, if needed. Season with sea salt and ground pepper, to taste. Warm through.
Serve with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or peanuts. Serves 4 as a hearty meal. It’s terrific with gluten-free cornbread.
Notes: Those avoiding peanuts, sunflower butter, soy butter, or cashew butter can replace the peanut butter in this recipe. Almond butter is very mild, and does not bring much flavor to a recipe like this. As always, check with your doctor regarding allergen safety.
This soup works well in a slow cooker. Combine the ingredients in your cooker and follow the manufacturer’s guidance for cooking vegetable soup.