Now that the warmer months are finally upon us, most of us are just pining for some tasty food fresh off the grill. Especially for those of us who live in cooler climates, the spring, and summer months are the only chance you have to throw barbecues and enjoy that freshly grilled taste. Nevertheless, by conducting a quick Google search, you quickly realize that finding innovative suggestions for grilling can be a tad challenging. That said, the following is a list of the 10 best things to grill this summer
Meat Lover’s Options
While vegans seem poised to take over the dietary world as we know it, we have not yet arrived at this point in the future. This means you will likely be cooking many meaty items on your grill this summer. The following is a few tasty options for meat to throw on the grill:
1. Boneless Chicken Breasts– Chicken breasts are a great option for grilling because they are lean and are often tasty additions to a variety of recipes, such as those found on Betsy’s Best. While you may get different tips for grilling chicken breasts depending on who you ask, some of the more common tips are as follows: for more tender meat, pound the meat before grilling; brine the chicken to add moisture; make sure your grill is clean and well-oiled; use a medium-high fire; use a thermometer to check for doneness.
2. Game Birds– Yet another lean option for meat lovers, game birds are particularly tasty when prepared on the grill. For instance, quail, ostrich, and pheasants are fairly popular options for those who prefer healthier meats. However, grilling game birdsis a tad trickier than tradition meats. For instance, larding (or wrapping the bird in bacon) is common when cooking game birds as this prevents them from drying out.
3. Steak– Grilling steak can be one of your more flavorful choices for your next cookout. You can choose virtually any type of steak, just be sure to take heed to the grilling instructions for each. Begin with room temperature steaks and be sure to salt the meat approximately 30-minutes before placing it on the grill. Also, remember that searing makes for great flavor; sear and slide thicker steaks to avoid overcooking the outer layers.
4. Fish– There are plenty of types of fish that will taste yummy fresh off the grill. Some of the most popular options are salmon, tuna, snapper, mahi-mahi, and swordfish. All fish requires different instructions for grilling. Either way, keep in mind that fish is one of the fastest meats to cook and therefore, you need to follow your recipe exactly.
You can hardly call it a trend. However, the amount of people who are seeking out vegan-friendly meal options has grown exponentially in recent years. In fact, statistics show that there has been a 60% increase in those who identify as vegan in the past 3 years alone. However, there is no need to jump on the bandwagon. You can still try these treats whether you are vegan or not. If you are planning a vegan-friendly barbecue, consider the following options:
5. Veggie Burgers– Veggie burgers are a delicious option for those seeking healthy options to throw on the grill this summer. Although you can cook these almost anywhere (stove-top, ovens, microwaves, hot-plates, and more), they are especially tasty when cooked on the grill. Additionally, there is a large variety of veggie burgers to choose from (they also make veggie dogs as well), and you can even mix it up with a Betsy’s Best recipe and make your own! However, before you start up the grill, take heed of the following tips: Thawing is not necessary, veggie burgers need to go straight from the box to the grill; Set the grill to medium, preheat for 10-minutes, and do not oil the grates; Follow the instructions for grilling on the box, if there are no instructions, the general rule is to cook each side for 5 minutes; Flip burgers only once, halfway through, otherwise they may fall apart.
6. Vegetables– Vegetables are another vegan-friendly option for the grill. No matter if you are strictly vegan or are simply trying to add some extra nutrition into your diet, vegetables are an excellent source of a variety of vitamins and nutrients, among other things. Some of the more flavorful options are cabbage, corn on the cob, potatoes, okra, artichokes, plantains, edamame, parsnips, kale, beets, and more. Either way, keep in mind that grilling vegetables is vastly different from grilling meats and other items. If you need assistance, be sure to visit the gourmet recipe experts at Betsy’s Best to find a yummy recipe or have received tips from someone who has experience grilling your vegetables of choice.
7. Fruit– While it may not seem like a likely pairing at first glance, there are actually quite a few fruits that are tasty fresh off the grill. Mangoes, pineapples, figs, watermelons, bananas, peaches, and more, all taste amazing as a snack or you can be add them to your favorite recipes.
Some Unique Treats
If you need some unique treat to try, consider the following options:
8. Kebobs– One of the most creative options for grilling, kebobs are a combination of meat, vegetables, and/or fruits on a skewer. The grilling instructions vary based on the ingredients chosen but these can be fun to make and tasty!
9. Pizza– A fun alternative to traditional pizza, grilled pizzas are like having a gourmet meal in your own backyard. Some tips for grilling pizza: grill one side of the dough for a few minutes, when you flip the dough over, quickly (and neatly) add your ingredients and grill the pizza for a few more minutes.
10. Nachos– Using a foil pan (coated with cooking spray), combine all your nacho ingredients. Place the pan on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, until cheese has melted.
Although finding fun, unique grill ideas can be challenging, it is well worth the tasty reward. Speaking of which, did you know Betsy’s Best can be used to create a tasty marinade to add flavor to meats and many other things? Offering terrific-tasting gourmet nut/ seed butters, be sure to try this recipe as well as other tasty options from Betsy’s Best: one of your best bets for making yummy recipes on the grill all summer long!