As football season and the Holidays approach are you looking for practical advice on how to stop binge eating? During the holidays it is easy to give into the temptations of holiday treats and festive feasts! The rich savory flavors and succulent sweets keeps you going back for more! Why is it so hard to stop binge eating and how do you prevent the cravings from destroying your diet???
Betsy’s Top 15 Tips On How To Stop Binge Eating
Here are some simple tips to help you stop binge eating and create a mindfulness about portion control, pace of eating, and learning to enjoy every bite:
1. Drink 8-12 ounces of water before you begin to eat. (This is Betsy’s top tip on how to stop binge eating for a reason. Water will fill you up and lessen or eliminate your feelings of hunger,)
2. Wait 1-2 minutes before you begin to eat your food—Start a conversation instead of digging in! Think about how you are going to eat slowly
3. Cut your food into very small pieces while you are waiting
4. Model your behavior after someone who eats slowly
5. Chew your food very thoroughly–Think about the food as you chew it, and really take time to enjoy the flavor
6. To stop binge eating, swallow each bite before you put another bite into your mouth
7. Pause between bites. Put your utensils down or engage in conversation
8. Play with your food–Despite what Mother taught you, this can slow down your eating pace
9. Try eating with chopsticks or infant spoons and forks
10. Take sips of water in between bites (See Betsy’s number one tip on how to stop binge eating.)
11. Talk—a lot!
12. Use your utensils to eat all foods (including finger foods such as pizza)
13. Take a break halfway through the meal
14. Push your plate away or leave the table as soon as you are full–Do not pick at food left on your plate or take second helpings
15. Clear the table quickly—Let someone else put leftovers away if they are tempting to you
Do you have any advice or experience on how to stop binge eating? Please share your thoughts in our comments!
Bonus Tip: Eat healthy foods that are satisfying and aren’t loaded with empty calories. Betsy has lots of healthy dinner recipes that will keep you full longer.
Over eating can be a serious problem. Don’t be afraid to seek professional help for your binge eating disorder. Betsy wants you to be healthy and happy!