Snacks can be healthy additions to a nutritious diet when eaten at the right time and in right amounts. They’re a great way to fit in extra doses of fruits and vegetables, provide additional fuel for the body, prevent hunger, and discourage overindulging at mealtimes. The best times to add a snack to your daily diet is 2-3 hours after a meal and no later than 2 hours before bed.
Before you go for the snack attack, make sure you are snacking for the right reasons! Below you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions about snacks:
Is snacking bad for me?
No! Snacking is great for helping you feel more energetic. The trick is to snack when you are truly hungry. Most people need to eat every 4 hours to keep their blood sugar levels steady. Don’t forget to also choose your snack foods wisely!
Will snacking help me eat less at mealtimes?
Probably, it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you’re full after eating. That’s why a small snack 20 minutes before mealtimes could help control how much you eat during a meal.
How many calories should a snack have?
If you’re planning to eat your next meal within 1–2 hours, you should choose a snack that has 50–100 calories. If you won’t eat your next meal for more than 2 hours, you can eat a little more, but don’t overdo it!
What foods make the best snacks?
Think of snacks as nutritional insurance. Very few people get all the whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy products they should from meals. Snacks are a great way to make up for these deficits. Choose smart snacks that have protein and/or fiber to help you stay full for longer.
Betsy’s Best Gourmet Nut and Seed Butters make a perfect snack, and pair with just about anything! Here are a few of our favorite Betsy’s Best snack ideas:
- Fruit & all-natural nut butters: Apples, bananas and pears are perfect paired with our nut and seed butters
- Ants on a Log: Celery never looked so good! Spread a few stalks with Betsy’s Best and add raisins on top
- PB Crackers: Whole grain crackers sandwiched together with Betsy’s Best gets our seal of approval
- Popcorn: Warm Betsy’s Best with a little coconut oil and drizzle over fresh-popped popcorn
- Greek Yogurt: Add a dollop of Betsy’s Best to your Greek yogurt and sprinkle with chia seeds. Delicious!