Betsy Opyt, a registered Dietitian and certified personal trainer has some secrets to everlasting health. She is a big believer in working hard and eating right. At the same time, she knows it is very important to enjoy life and the food you eat. After all, if you live a long and healthy life, what’s the point if you didn’t enjoy it along the way!
Remember to SHHHHH. These are secrets!!
Here are Betsy’s 5 easy tips for feeling and looking younger:
1. Sleeping Beauty: Yes, that “beauty sleep” is for a reason! It helps your body repair it-self and keeps the metabolism healthy. Lack of sleep is linked to high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. So get those 8 hours and ZZZZZ’s the difference!
2. De-Stress for less: Stress has a direct correlation to weight gain. Stress increases the concentration of the hormone cortisol and norepinephrine in the bloodstream, increasing blood pressure while decreasing immunity. Finding ways to reduce your stress is not only important for your sanity, but it may just save your life!
3. Fat ATTACK: Don’t fight it, bite it…that is eat those nuts! Yes, cutting out those artery clogging saturated and trans fats is a good move, but the unsaturated “healthy” fats such as nuts, nut butters, olives, and avocados have positive benefits on your health. Just don’t overdo those portions because fats are calorie dense foods and could cause weight gain if over-consumed.
4. Filter your water: Pesticides, chlorine, perchlorate…oh my! What lurks in your tap wa-ter? You can request a report from your local utility company or invest in a carbon water filter. Think bottled water is the answer, well read tip number 4 above and think again.
5. Starve off Sweets: Savoring that soda will not only make your skin dull, but wrinkled too. The natural process called AGEs (advanced glycation end products), produces molecules which damage surrounding proteins like collagen and elastin, which keep skin firm and elastic. These aging effects start about age 35 and increase rapidly after that. Also a recent study shows that eating 100g of sugar/day can significantly hamper the ability of white blood cells to kill bacteria for up to 5 hours after eating the sugar.
Here is to your everlasting health!