If you are in search of the ultimate PB&J sandwich, you need to watch this segment of the Carolina Kitchen! Betsy Opyt, our Gourmet Nut and Seed Butter creator and CEO, shares her German Chocolate peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe. Trust us! It is a gourmet experience that will have you saying “It was love at first taste!”
Do you love Umami? Falling in love with your food is nothing new. We are all creatures of habit and have distinct tastes that tantalize those taste buds. From sweet to savory or textures of smooth to crunchy, every profile has a role in creating the experience food provides.
Umami | Savory or Spicy
The newest flavor profile that is the buzz word with foodies is “umami.” Umami means savory or spicy and is one of the five basic tastes along with sweetness, bitterness, sourness, and saltiness. The unique combination of all the intense flavors makes certain parts of the brain light up. It is what attracts a person to specific foods. Creating an attraction to healthy, functional food ingredients can only be a good thing!
Some of us eat to live, but many of us live to eat!
At Betsy’s Best our mission is to create healthy foods that are not only delicious but nutritious! Food should be full of flavor and integrity behind each ingredient, hand selected for a nutritional purpose. Betsy, a registered dietitian, recognizes that flavor is a powerful thing and helps us connect with our food. Wanting to provide a unique experience, her nut and seed butters are anything but ordinary. They are in fact “gourmet” and feature unique combinations of some of the 5 basic tastes.
The original flavor profile, first developed in Betsy’s Best Gourmet Peanut Butter, is slightly sweet with a hint of salt to make all of the flavors pop. With unique superfood ingredients that include cinnamon, chia seeds, organic honey, and Himalayan pink salt, this blend (available as a peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter) will enhance the flavor of any recipe or can be enjoyed simply by licking it off a spoon.
If you want more umami, Betsy’s Best also has a delicious gourmet cashew butter featuring cardamom instead of cinnamon. This cashew butter is less sweet, but still plays nicely on the taste buds with a savory, sweet and salty combination.
Betsy’s Best Makes Any Recipe Better
In a smoothie, dressed on a salad, as a marinade on meat, drizzled over a treat or enjoyed on a spoon, you will see that Betsy’s Best Gourmet Nut and Seed Butters are better than the rest! Next time you dip your spoon into Betsy’s Best, take a moment to appreciate the complete flavor profile and texture. Feel good about falling in love with your food!
NAPLES, FL – Betsy’s Best, maker of delicious and nutritious gourmet nut and seed butters, is proud to announce the inaugural Betsy’s Best Scholarship to be awarded June 15, 2016 at the Miss Indiana pageant in Zionsville, Indiana.
Betsy’s Best President and CEO Betsy Opyt won the title of Miss Indiana in 2000, giving her the opportunity to compete at Miss America in Atlantic City, New Jersey. She credits the organization with changing the trajectory of her life, leading her to be a businesswoman and entrepreneur.
“Winning Miss Indiana didn’t happen overnight, and it definitely didn’t happen without setting goals and working endlessly to attain them,” says Opyt. “Being crowned Miss Indiana meant more than winning a crown; it taught me that any goal I have in life can be attained through perseverance and determination. Instead of being scared of failure, I am confident in my abilities, and that’s the attitude you need when starting a business from the ground up.”
The $500 scholarship to be awarded on the first night of preliminary competition will be presented to a contestant whose video essay demonstrates the following: individual determination to succeed, entrepreneurial drive, healthy lifestyle, active spirit, and positive energy.
“Pageants have an unfortunate reputation of being old-fashioned and anti-feminist, while that couldn’t be further from the truth” says Opyt. “The young women who compete in the Miss Indiana organization hone their leadership skills, selflessly give back to their communities, and learn how to graciously manage success as well as defeat. Our goal is to recognize one woman who truly embodies these characteristics.”
“We are excited to have Betsy’s Best as a first time sponsor, and even happier that the company’s CEO is a ‘forever’ Miss Indiana,” Straiger said. “She understands the goals of our organization, and recognizes the hard work invested by these women. We are proud to award more than $38,000 in scholarship opportunities for the contestants, and that is made possible by sponsors like Betsy’s Best.”
The Miss Indiana pageant is June 15-18, 2016, at the Zionsville Performing Arts Center. Miss Indiana 2016 will compete at Miss America in Atlantic City in September.
Betsy’s Best is available in Indiana at select Marsh Supermarkets.
Betsy Opyt, a registered Dietitian and certified personal trainer has some secrets to everlasting health. She is a big believer in working hard and eating right. At the same time, she knows it is very important to enjoy life and the food you eat. After all, if you live a long and healthy life, what’s the point if you didn’t enjoy it along the way!
Remember to SHHHHH. These are secrets!!
Here are Betsy’s 5 easy tips for feeling and looking younger:
1. Sleeping Beauty: Yes, that “beauty sleep” is for a reason! It helps your body repair it-self and keeps the metabolism healthy. Lack of sleep is linked to high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and weight gain. So get those 8 hours and ZZZZZ’s the difference!
2. De-Stress for less: Stress has a direct correlation to weight gain. Stress increases the concentration of the hormone cortisol and norepinephrine in the bloodstream, increasing blood pressure while decreasing immunity. Finding ways to reduce your stress is not only important for your sanity, but it may just save your life!
3. Fat ATTACK: Don’t fight it, bite it…that is eat those nuts! Yes, cutting out those artery clogging saturated and trans fats is a good move, but the unsaturated “healthy” fats such as nuts, nut butters, olives, and avocados have positive benefits on your health. Just don’t overdo those portions because fats are calorie dense foods and could cause weight gain if over-consumed.
4. Filter your water: Pesticides, chlorine, perchlorate…oh my! What lurks in your tap wa-ter? You can request a report from your local utility company or invest in a carbon water filter. Think bottled water is the answer, well read tip number 4 above and think again.
5. Starve off Sweets: Savoring that soda will not only make your skin dull, but wrinkled too. The natural process called AGEs (advanced glycation end products), produces molecules which damage surrounding proteins like collagen and elastin, which keep skin firm and elastic. These aging effects start about age 35 and increase rapidly after that. Also a recent study shows that eating 100g of sugar/day can significantly hamper the ability of white blood cells to kill bacteria for up to 5 hours after eating the sugar.